I am a Ph.D. political economist, originally from Sweden, went to graduate school in Denmark and moved to America in 2002. After making a living as a college professor I went to work in public policy, which is what I have been doing since 2005.
My research (see a list of publications below) is focused on macroeconomics, the welfare state and the relationship between political ideologies and economic policy. My interest in this subject was awoken by the severe austerity crisis in Sweden in the early 1990s, when my native country became one of the first to enter an economic state I have defined as “industrial poverty” (see book in list below).
With more than 20 years of scholarly research and experience from the practice of economic policy, I have come to the conclusion that the welfare state is a chokehold on the free-market capitalist economy. It has already brought Europe down into economic stagnation, is doing the same with Canada and has begun sinking America as well.
Ending the welfare state is an existential mission for our country, and for Western Civilization as a whole.
- Democracy or Socialism: The Fateful Question for America in 2024. Palgrave (2021)
- Faith and Freedom: The Moral Case for America. Resource (2019)
- The Rise of Big Government: How Egalitarianism Conquered America. Routledge (2018)
- Industrial Poverty: Yesterday Sweden, Today Europe, Tomorrow America. Gower (2014)
Articles and research papers:
- Paid Family Leave: A Fork in the Road; SSRN Oct. 2019
- Preventing A U.S. Fiscal Crisis: An Experiment in Political Economy. Journal of Management Policy and Practice, 20, 1 (2019)
- Fiscal Crisis in America, Parts 1 and 2. Prosperitas, Vol. XII (2018)
- Fiscal Monetarism: Theory and Practice of the European Stability and Growth Pact. Presented at the Forum for Economists International annual conference, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, May 26-27, 2018
- Redistribution and Economic Decline. RAIS conf., Rockville, MD, Oct. 2017
- Balancing the Budget: Can the Swiss Debt Brake End Endless U.S. Deficits? Journal of Governance and Regulation. 5, 4 (2016)
- Is Life after the Welfare State Possible? Journal of Insurance and Financial Management. 2, 7 (2016); also presented at WINIR conference, Boston, MA, Sept. 2016
- The Structured Exit; Three papers on spending reform in Wyoming:
- The case for a Balanced Budget Constitutional Amendment: Discussion papers for Compact for America Council of Scholars: